Why a Shed Has Lost Power and the Repair Process
How to Repair Lost Electrical Power to an Outdoor Shed: Guide to Repair Lost Power to a Shed
Guide to Repair Lost Power to a Shed
- No plugs in the shed work, the light does not work either. It is not the case of plugs not working.
- I use my voltage tester on the main feed into the shed and I get a power reading inside the shed on the main feed power.
- The lines from the box inside the shed to the light and other plugs show that there is power, yet when I turn on the light nothing happens. I changed the bulb but that did not help.
- There are six plugs that do not work and I don’t know what to look for.
Thanks for your help!
This electrical wiring question came from: Ralph, a Homeowner from Providence, Rhode Island.
Thanks for your electrical troubleshooting question Ralph.
How to Repair Lost Electrical Power to an Outdoor Shed
- With this question, I am assuming that there is a direct burial cable that supplies the power circuit to the shed.
- If there is a direct burial cable, then what you are describing sounds like the main underground power cable has lost the neutral.
- This may have happened if the cable was nicked when it was installed, and slowly it began to deteriorate until the connection was finally lost.
- To know for sure, voltage tests should be taken from the hot leg of the power to the neutral wire, not to the ground wire.
- If there is no reading then the neutral wire is the problem.
- The problem area can be detected using a cable detector or meter and then an approved direct burial repair splice may be installed to restore the connection.
More about Electrical Wiring for your Shed:
- How To Repair A Direct Burial Shed Power Cable
- Types of Electrical Testers
- Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring
- Electrical Safety and Voltage Testers
- When working on home electrical wiring, quality voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
For more information about Lost Power
Causes of Lost Electrical Power
- Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.