Why a Garage Lost Power to Outlets
I lost power in my garage, how can I fix this? Why Garage Outlets Trip Off and How to Reset the Power.
Garage GFCI Receptacle Outlets and Electrical Circuits
Electrical Question: I lost power in my garage, how can I fix this?
- I have a problem with my garage outlet circuit.
- I was using a small snow blower running from a receptacle in the garage.
- The blower cut out and power went off in the garage and emergency light went on.
- I checked the circuit breaker for garage which was OK.
- Then I opened the electrical panel box and the wire feeding the garage circuit is hot.
- I can’t get the power back on in the garage.
- I unscrewed the emergency light to see if that was causing the problem. It won’t go on and I can’t get the power back on in the garage.
This electrical question came from: Stephen, a Homeowner from Spring Lake Heights, New Jersey.
See more about Home Wiring for New Jersey
Thanks for your electrical question Stephen.
How Garage Receptacle Outlets are Protected by GFCI
Stephen, from what you have described, it is probable that there is a GFCI receptacle outlet in your garage that has tripped off and just needs to be reset.
Why Garage Outlets Trip Off and How to Reset the Power
- General purpose receptacle outlets in the garage are required to be protected for ground faults by a GFCI device .
- Look in the garage for a GFCI outlet and push the reset button to restore the garage power.
- In some homes a GFCI breaker has been installed in the electrical panel for the garage circuit. Locate the GFCI circuit breaker that has tripped into the middle position between on and off. To reset the GFCI breaker switch the breaker into the off position, then back into the on position.
- This should get your garage power restored so you can get back to clearing snow with your electric snow blower.
More about Garage Outlet Wiring
- Garage Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Garage Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
GFCI Receptacle Wiring
Understanding Electrical Testers
- When working on home electrical wiring using voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety.
- Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
- Types of Electrical Testers
- Using Electrical Testers
- This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
- House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
- This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
- Electrical circuit
- Electric Circuit Listing
- The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
Browse other questions about this topic:
Electrical Troubleshooting GFCI Lost Power to Outlet electric snow blower, garage circuit, garage lost power, garage receptacle outlet, gfci outlet, gfi circuit, gfi reset
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.