What Type Of Wire is Allowed for Home Electrical Projects
Am I allowed to install the Romex Brand Type-NM Electrical Wire in my home? How to Know Which Electrical Cable You Should Use.
Electrical Question: Am I allowed to install the Romex Brand Type-NM Electrical Wire in my home?
- Where can I get more information about home electrical wiring?
This electrical wiring question came from: Joshua, a Contractor from Beverly Hills,California.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Joshua.
Installing Home Electrical Wiring
Application: Electric Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor, or Certified Electrician.
Electrical Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester, and appropriate Safety Gear.
Estimated Time: Depends on the personal level experience, ability to work with tools, install electrical circuit wiring, and the available access to the project area.
Electrical Safety: Identify the electrical power source, turn it OFF and Tag with a Note before working with the electrical wiring.
Electrical Wiring Parts and Materials: Electrical parts and materials for the project should be approved for the specific application, and compliant with local and national electrical codes.
Electrical Codes and Inspections: Installing or changing home electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes as adopted in Beverly Hills, California. A permit and inspections may also be required.
Resources to help you do electrical wiring in your area:
Locate Electricians or Electrical Contractors in California
California Electrical Contractor License, Building Permits and Electrical Codes
How to Know Which Electrical Cable You Should Use
- Joshua, great question. The best way to know which cable type is permitted is to stop by or call your local building department and ask them.
- There may be special requirements for certain areas where they do not allow Romex, but would require Armored Cable, BX, Flex or Conduit, especially here in the earthquake state of California where there are a variety of additional electrical codes for us to conform to.
Electrical Tip for Home Wiring Projects
- Always consult with your local building department before starting any electrical wiring project or construction project.
- They will assist you with your project along with the applicable permit and inspections.
More about Home Electrical Wiring
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Electrical Code Articles for Home Wiring
- Electrical Code Directory covering AFCI circuit, electrical-boxes, electrical-circuit, electrical-code-outlets, electrical GFCI, electrical-grounding, electrical-project
- electrical-services, electrical-underground, electrical-wiring, electrical-wiring-code, lighting-code, and smoke-detectors.
- This link is helpful as a Contractor
- Electrical Code Articles
|« Adding Sub-Panels to Main Panels||Ceiling Fan Dimmer Switch Wiring »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Installing New Wiring
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
See more about Electrical Wiring in Your Local Area