What to do about Home Electrical Power Surges and Spikes
How to Solve Electrical Power Quality Problems: It is probable that there is a problem with the main incoming power from the electrical provider.
Professional Help to Detect Electrical Power Problems
Electrical Question: For the last 4 or 5 days Ive been getting steady power surges or spikes.The lights will dim and brighten every fifteen minutes or so.
- I live in a 3 bedroom home that’s approx 25 years old, maybe a bit older. For the last 4 or 5 days Ive been getting steady power surges or spikes. It’s not in any specific area.
- It appears to be all over the house. The lights will dim and brighten every fifteen minutes or so. However sometimes it will be much longer and sometimes shorter.
- None of the circuit breakers appear to have or be tripping. Every now and again our (2 roommates) surge protectors will trip or power in any room will quickly go off and on.
- All outlets appear to be working. There are no GFI switches in the house. And even though it appears to be happening at random, it will also happen when certain appliances are turned on or off.
- Some appliances, specifically the microwave and clothes washer during the spin cycle, when turned on they will barely have any power. Microwave will be barely running (but it does run) and the spin cycle will barely be spinning.
- When I plug in, say the vacuum, I notice the oven clock will turn off (I assume the entire oven is off as well.) But it will return when I turn off vacuum.
- There hasn’t been any significant remodeling done any time recently. We did have a bad clothes dryer go dead and it was replaced with new one.
- I don’t have enough expertise in this area to know if we have a bad circuit breaker or if we have an open line somewhere.
- The electrical company will be contacted tomorrow, but I’m not sure if it is a problem on their end or if they will be able to help if its not.
Any suggestions on possible causes and solutions will be appreciated.
This electrical wiring question came from: Jeremy, a Homeowner from Arlington, Texas
See more about Home Wiring for Texas
Additional Comments: Very nice and informative website. It has been bookmarked for future reference.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Jeremy
How to Solve Electrical Power Quality Problems
Electrical Power Problems with the Main Service of Utility
- From what has been described it is probable that there is a problem with the main incoming power from the electrical provider.
- The electrical utility company should be contacted immediately and notified of the problem so they can come out and check their equipment.
- If the utility company is not at fault then the main electrical panel of the home will need to be tested by a qualified licensed electrical contractor who will determine the problem and make the necessary repairs.
- Until the problem is resolved make sure to unplug any electronic devices in the home.
- Using any electrical device may result in overheating and or permanent damage.
The Following will assist you with Electrical Power Problems
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Testers to Help Solve Electrical Problems
For more information about Troubleshooting
Repair Electrical Wiring
Troubleshooting and Repairing Electrical Wiring
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
|« Adding a Light Fixture to a 3 Way Switch||Repairing Security System Telephone Wiring »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
See more about Electrical Wiring in Your Local Area