What is the Correct Electrical Wire Size for Your Project?
What type of wire should I use for Electrical Wiring? How to Select the Right Wire and Cable.
Electrical Wires and Cable
Electrical Question: What type of wire should I use for Electrical Wiring?
My basement lighting is currently all wired together to the switch by the door.
- Total of 11 lights. The contractor has it wired with #14.
- I’ve relocated 3 lights to operate on a separate switch.
- The question is can I use #12 wire to wire them off the #14 existing wires?
- I will still have a total of 11 lights .
This electrical wiring question came from: Tim, a Handyman from North Aurora, Illinois.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Tim.
How to Select the Right Wire and Cable
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best installed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the light fixture(s).
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional fixture wiring should be done with a permit and be inspected.
The Key to Selecting the Right Electric Wire and Cable
- When adding to existing circuit wiring, the same wire size should be maintained to ensure circuit integrity, therefore you should be installing #14 that matches the existing #14 AWG gauge wire.
- When new circuits are being added to the electrical system, then the wire size is determined according to the what the circuit will be used for.
- For many projects, a specific circuit size is required or dictated by the electrical code, such is the case for an electric dryer, which requires a 30 amp, 240 volt circuit which is provided by a 10/3 Romex cable with a ground wire, for a typical circuit installation.
More about Electrical Wiring
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- Wiring Diagrams
- Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
- Guide to Home Electrical Wire
Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
- Lighting for the Home
Planning and Installing Home Lighting
- Home lighting articles covering recessed lighting, under cabinet lighting, lighting terminology and more.
- How to Install Basement Electrical Wiring
Basement Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Basement Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
- Electrical Wiring Codes
- Home Electrical Codes
- Electrical Code Directory covering electrical circuits and electrical wiring.
Browse other questions about this topic:
Electrical Repair Wire Size ask an electrician, awg electric wire, electric cable size, electrical question and answer, electrical wire, how to electric wiring, how to electrical wiring, romex wire cable, size electric wire, wire gauge, wire size
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.