What Is The Best Type of Under Cabinet Lighting?
How to Select the Right Under Cabinet Light Fixtures: We would like to add under cabinet lighting. What lighting, in your opinion, is the best of the current variety of options?
Under Cabinet Light Fixtures
Electrical Question: We would like to add under cabinet lighting. What lighting, in your opinion, is the best of the current variety of options?
- We are having new cabinets and granite counter tops installed in our 28 year old kitchen.
- We were leaning toward LED but are unsure of the complexity in replacement, when lights “burn out” and/or cost.
- Our electrician has never installed LED but recommends xenon.
- We just know we do not want any light that heats up.
- It’s hot enough in the south w/o adding more heat in a kitchen!
Background: Libby, a Homeowner from North Augusta, South Carolina.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Libby.
How to Select the Right Under Cabinet Light Fixtures
- When considering under cabinet lighting I always ask questions about the type of granite counter tops that are installed:
- If there will be a back splash, what type, color and how high.
- What is the desired effect you would like from the lighting?
- What color will the granite be, will it absorb the light or reflect it?
- Will there be inlaid design or patterns that you wish to accentuate?
- Is it cultured or true granite.
- What is the contrast between the counter tops and the cabinets.
- The under cabinetÂ lighting will either be the highlight of your kitchen or not, and you have a one time chance of getting it right.
- My suggestion is to see what the end result will be before the lighting is installed.
- One thing to understand is that the different types of lighting will produce different colors and types of light.
- A smooth even light is produced with fluorescent lights but they will produce a yellowish color unless you get color corrected lamps or use a filter.
- LED and Xenon are a bright,Â less evenly distributed light but may be controlled by a dimmer switch. The xenon lamps produce heat at full illumination, but I like the ability to control the level of light I wish to have.
- To me, lighting is everything. It’s what makes everything else look fantastic if the lighting is right.
More about Under Cabinet Lighting
Installing Under Cabinet Lights
- Installing under cabinet lights for your home electrical improvements. This article explains installing under cabinet lights and the lighting features you should know about.
|« Converting a 120 Volt Motor to 240 Volts||Can I Change The Wiring For My New Exhaust Fan And Light Fixture? »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
See more about Electrical Wiring in Your Local Area