Wall Outlets and Outlet Strips
Are Outlet Plug Strips Safe to Use? How to Use Surge Protection Outlet Plug Strips.
Selecting a Safe Outlet Strip
In my office I have four wall outlets. This office is on one 20Amp circuit breaker. If every thing in my office is on and being used I’m over the 20 Amps. But not all things are being used at the same time. Can I use outlet strips? If so what type should I use?
This electrical wiring question came from: Kim, from North Canton, Ohio.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Kim.
How to Use Surge Protection Outlet Strips
- I recommend a good quality UL approved outlet strip that has a built in circuit breaker, typically a round button type that can be reset.
- Because this circuit is shared with other office equipment I would urge you to consider a plug strip that provides protection against voltage surges.
More about Plug Strips and Surge Protection
Surge Protection at the Point of Use
Point of use products provide a second line of defense. Homeowners can reinforce the protection provided by a point-of-entry protection device by installing surge protectors (strips) and low-voltage surge suppressors.
Surge protectors plug into grounded wall receptacles where sensitive electronic equipment is located. These devices defend electronic components against surges from outside, and internally generated transient events (surges) that travel through AC power lines. Low-voltage surge suppressors defend electronic components against surges from outside, and internally generated transient events (surges) that travel through phone, data, and coaxial lines. These plug-in protectors generally have much lower limiting voltages than entry protectors, and provide better protection for electronic equipment.
- Home Office Wiring Electrical
- Home electrical wiring diagram for the home office.
- Learn about the electrical codes required when wiring your home office with your new or remodel project.
You identified your project to be about Outlet Wiring, so you might find this information useful:
Wiring Electrical Outlets
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.