Voltage Readings and Dryer Outlets
How to Test a Dryer Circuit and Outlet – We just had brand new house built, the dryer breaker tripped now the dryer doesn’t work.
Dryer Outlet Voltage Readings
- The electrician came back out to look and he sees no problem with the breaker or outlet.
- I have tested the outlet myself and ground to neutral is reading 120.
- Everyone is telling me it should read nothing.
- I called the electrician again and he said its fine.
- I’m really confused because I’m not sure what is right or wrong.
This electrical wiring question came from: Michelle, from Louisville, Kentucky
See more about Local Electrical Wiring in Kentucky
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Michelle
How to Test a Dryer Circuit and Outlet
- It is correct that there should not be a reading of 120 volts between the neutral and the ground.
- This is an abnormal condition and should be corrected before attempting to use the outlet.
- A qualified electrical contractor will need to inspect the circuit and wiring and make the necessary corrections.
The Following will assist you with your Dryer Outlet
3-Wire and 4-Wire Configurations for Clothes Dryers
See an electric dryer installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system. You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric dryer, or a 3-wire or 4-wire outlet. Lets look a how the electric dryer is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Testers to Help Solve Electrical Problems