How to Use a Switched Outlet for a Ceiling Fan
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How can I wire a ceiling fan from a wall switch that controls a wall plug? Wiring a Ceiling Fan from a Wall Switch that Controls an Outlet, Wiring Switches for a Ceiling Fan and Light.
How to Wire a Ceiling Fan from a Wall Outlet
- I’m am installing a new ceiling fan in a room that has a wall switch that works a wall plug.
- I have installed the fan and ran 14-3 to the wall switch.
- I have added a double gang because I am installing a switch that has ceiling fan control and light control dimmer.
- I am trying to get power from the wall switch for the fan and still have the wall switch work the wall outlet. but it’s not working.
Please advise. Thanks,
Additional Comments: Great!
This Ceiling Fan Wiring Question came from Barry, a Handyman from Springfield, Virgina.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Barry.
Wiring for a Ceiling Fan from a Wall Switch
Application: Wiring a Ceiling Fan from a Wall Plug.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the switched outlet wiring and the proposed location for the ceiling fan.
Precaution: Identify the switched outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring for a ceiling fan should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
How to Wire a Ceiling Fan from a Wall Switch that Controls an Outlet
- Required Electrical Circuit Power for a Ceiling Fan
- The reason why the wiring described in the question does not work is because the existing wall switch does not have a neutral wire. You may see a white wire, but it is being used as a switch leg.
- The best solution for this situation would be to convert the wiring at the outlet that is controlled by the wall switch so that the 2-wire cable that is installed between the switch and the outlet will no longer be used for the switching process, but rather become a branch or extension of the wall outlet circuit so that there will be a hot, neutral and a ground wire available at the switch box that can then be used for the ceiling fan.
- Wiring Switches for a Ceiling Fan and Light
- When a 14-3 or 3-wire cable is installed from the switch to the ceiling fan you will have the capability for two switches, one switch for the ceiling fan motor and one switch for the light fixture.
- If the switch box is a single gang box then a stack switch or a tandem switch may be installed which will allow the control of two switches from the single switch box as long as the single box is deep enough for the size of the switch and the number of wires that are inside the switch box.
More about Wiring Ceiling Fans and Light Switches
How to Install Ceiling Fans
- How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
- Step-by-step pictures with Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide showing Light and fan switch variations.
- Ceiling Fan Wiring
- Ceiling Fan Installation
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance. One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
Lighting Electrical Codes
Home Electrical Wiring
Basic Home Wiring Diagrams with Pictures
MORE ABOUT THIS TOPIC: Ceiling Fans, Electrical Wiring, Wiring Configurations