Using a Control Relay for Well Pump Operation
How to Build a Control Circuit to Operate Two Well Pumps: I have two water wells and both produce too little on their own to provide sufficient water for our home.
Basic Control Circuit to Operate Well Pumps
Electrical Question: I have two water wells and both produce too little on their own to provide sufficient water for our home.
- They are almost identical in every way, including the submersible pumps and pressure switches.
- Each has its own 220v 30a breaker and circuit.
- Can I combine into one circuit, increase that circuit’s breaker to 60a, wire that single circuit into a single pressure switch, have two circuits come off the pressure switch (one to each pump) and put a 30a breaker on each of these circuits between the single pressure switch and their respective pumps?
Background: Scott, a Homeowner from Raleigh, NC.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Scott.
How to Build a Control Circuit to Operate Two Well Pumps
Controlling Two Well Pumps
- You can accomplish this type of control for two well pumps simply by using a basic control circuit that would run through the pressure switches and activate 30 amp rated motor controls (larger relays) which would start or stop the pumps.
- The control circuit could be a 120 or 240 volt protected circuit which may be powered by a transformer which is wired to the primary side of one of the pump circuits or it could be a separate circuit.
More about Wiring to Control Two Well Pumps
- 220 Volt Wiring Diagram
- Circuit Breakers
- House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
- Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
- Electric Circuit Listing
- The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
- Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
- Electrical Wire for the Home
A listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Electrical Control Relays
- Electrical Relay Articles
This section will cover the use of relays that are sometimes needed to control special device loads such as Air Conditioners and other high demand equipment from starting at the same time.
Scott, you stated you were a Homeowner, so you may find the information found at this link to be helpful:
You identified your project to be about 220 Volt Wiring Diagram, so you might find this information useful:
- Wiring 220 Volt Electrical Outlet
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
|« How to Determine if Your Panel Has The Power for One More Circuit||Replacing 2 Wire and 3 Wire Receptacle Outlets »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
220 Volt Wiring
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
See more about Electrical Wiring in Your Local Area