Using a Circuit Tracer to Detect a Broken Electrical Wire
How to Locate Damaged Electrical Wiring: Electrical Wire Locators and Circuit Tracers, What to Do if Electrical Wiring has been Damaged Inside a Wall.
Circuit Tracers Can be Used to Locate Broken Electrical Wire
- I am looking to purchase a tool that will detect where a damaged or broken electrical wire is within a wall.
- For instance, where someone hung a picture and hit an electrical wire which in turn would cause the breaker to trip.
- I know there is such a tool because I remember one of the workers having one when I worked for a construction company.
- Where can I get one and what is it called?
This electrical tester question came from: Debra, a Handy-woman from New Port Richey, Florida.
Thanks for your electrical tester question Debra.
Electrical Wire Locators and Circuit Tracers
Application: Electrical Troubleshooting and Repairing a Damaged Electric Circuit.
Skill Level: Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester or Volt Ohm Meter and a Circuit Tracer.
Estimated Time: Depends on the type and age of the home, the condition of the electric wiring, and the access to the circuits and wiring to be evaluated.
Precaution: Identify the affected circuit, turn it OFF and then Tag it with a Note before performing any wiring or inspections or electrical repairs. Electrical troubleshooting and repairs requires specific tests of the electrical circuits.
Notice: Repairs to Home Electrical Wiring should be made according to local and national electrical codes. Installing new or replacement electrical wiring may require a permit and inspections.
How to Locate Damaged Electrical Wiring
- When a wire is shorted out or is broken inside a wall and you need to locate it then a electric circuit tracer should help to find the wire.
- The price range for a circuit tracer does vary, however there are some fine Stud Sensors that have a built in feature that allows live circuits to be detected inside the wall behind sheet rock.
- If your husband will be using the tester to detect non-energized wiring then that type of tester is a little more expensive.
- Some brands of circuit tracers are Ideal, Greenlee and Amprobe to name just a few.
- These types of circuit testers will be available at Lowe’s, Home Depot or a local electrical wholesale supply house.
What to Do if Electrical Wiring has been Damaged Inside a Wall
- If you suspect that electrical wiring has been damaged when a nail or screw was used to hang something on a wall, then the circuit should be turned OFF, and the nail or screw should be removed and the hole should be marked so the wall can be opened up to allow the electrical wiring to be inspected and repaired as necessary.
- Sections of damaged electrical circuit wiring should be replaced, or when possible an electrical splice may be made by installing an accessible electrical junction box and applying the proper electrical splice materials and methods for the specific circuit.
More about Repairing Electrical Wiring
Understanding Electrical Testers
When working on home electrical wiring using voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
Types of Electrical Testers
Using Electrical Testers
Home Electrical Repairs and Electrical Troubleshooting
Home Electrical Repairs Made Simple! Easy to Understand Electrical Troubleshooting with Wiring Diagrams, Step by Step Instructions and Electrical Pictures.
Troubleshooting and Repairing Electrical Wiring
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.