Upgrading a Home Electrical Panel
How does the old electrical wiring connect to the new electrical meter box? How to Upgrade Home Electrical Wiring and the Main Service Panel, Upgrading an Old Electric Panel with a New Circuit Breaker Panel.
Guide to Replacing an Electric Panel
Electrical Question: How does the old electric wiring connect to the new electrical meter box?
I am helping a friend replace an old bulldog electric fuse box with a 100 amp breaker box.
- The old box has 60 amp main and range cartridges with four 30 amp Edison fuses.
- The two lead braided wires had one going to the main and one going to the range with the neutral going to the neutral bar.
- There are only three other braided electrical wires for the outlets.
- This is being done for an old house with no light switches, only outlets.
- One of the braided wires was tied into two of the Edison fuses, and the other braided wire into the other two, with that braided neutral wire going to the neutral for the Edison fuses,
- We know to wire the main and range wire into the 2 main leads on the new breaker box and the braided neutral wire into the neutral bar of the new box.
- We are not sure about the 2 braided positive lead wires for the outlets.
- I don’t think they would fit into the breaker. (there are about 6 wires braided in each of the 2 outlet wires) and the 3rd braided wire is a neutral and would go into the neutral bar.
How can we tie in the two braided positive leads into the new electrical meter box?
This electrical wiring question came from: Kevin, a Homeowner from Waverly, Ohio.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Kevin.
How to Upgrade a Main Electric Service Panel
Skill Level: Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Electricians pouch of hand tools and the various power tools necessary for the electric panel upgrade.
Estimated Time: Depends on the exact type of the existing panel, the replacement panel to be installed, the original wiring methods that were used for installing the existing wiring, and available access to the project area.
Precaution: This is an extensive project that should be performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Notice: Making changes to the Electrical Service Panel should be done according to local and National Electrical Codes with a permit and be inspected.
Upgrading an Old Electrical Panel with a New Circuit Breaker Panel
Some brands of electrical panels and circuit breakers have been known to have problems either caused by a the design or the methods used to install the panels. Some of these panels may require replacement to insure safety and reliability for the home electrical system. During the panel upgrade it would be best to improve any outdated wiring methods and materials as well.
- I would highly recommend replacing the old braided type electrical wiring with new wiring.
- New dedicated circuits should be installed into the kitchen bathroom and laundry area of the home.
- Consider bring the home up to current Electrical Codes, at least one major area at a time.
- Safety devices should also be a high priority.
- Smoke Detectors.
- GFCI Circuit Protection or Receptacle Outlets.
Be sure to plan and install these electrical wiring projects by permit and obtain all inspections from your local building department. All electrical projects such as this is best installed by a licensed electrical contractor for best results and to ensure efficiency and accuracy.
More about Installing a Panel and Upgrading Home Electrical Wiring
Rewiring Circuits for a Home
- Great ideas for home electrical rewiring that will add value to your home and bring it up to the current safety and energy efficient electrical codes.
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
- This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Browse other questions about this topic:
Fuse Panel Panel Upgrade Panel Wiring bulldog electric panel, bulldog fuse panel, circuit breaker panel, edison base fuse panel, electric service upgrade, electrical wiring, how to install a panel, replace electric panel, replace fuse panel, wiring electric panel
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.