Upgrading Home Wiring and Planning Electrical Circuits
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How do I figure out what to put on what circuits? How to Plan Circuits when Rewiring a Home, Upgrading Home Electrical Wiring and Planning the Circuits.
Electrical Circuit Wiring
- I own a house that is about 60 years old. I am slowly fixing it up and I am wondering about rewiring and how to plan out the circuits.
- Right now my office, master bedroom and microwave are all on 1 circuit.
- The former owners had tried to finish the basement and instead tied into the upstairs circuits instead of running new ones.
- My question is how do I figure out what to put on what circuits.
- Should I wire each room on a separate circuit,i.e. master bedroom light and outlets as one.
- My major appliances are all on separate circuits, I just need help on the other rooms.
I have been around the construction industry for over 10 years now I went to Tech school so I have good understanding home electrical. I hope this is not too much info.
This electrical wiring question came from: Nick, a Handyman from Byron, Minnesota.
Additional Comments: I am new to the site but what I have seen so far is very educational and I will continue to use this site.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Nick.
How to Plan Circuits when Rewiring a Home
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Electrical Tools Required: Electricians Pouch of Hand Tools for Rough-In Wiring, Electric Drill and Auger Bits, Extension Cords, and Ladders.
Construction Safety: All personal safety measures must be taken when performing remodel projects where you may come into contact with hazardous materials and environmental contaminants such as fiberglass insulation, vermiculite and asbestos, molds or mildew, as well as dust.
Estimated Time: Depends on the extent of the project, the type of wall coverings and structural construction and available access to the project area.
Precaution: Any existing wiring in the immediate area that may interfere with the installation should be identified and turned OFF and Tagged.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring or upgrading existing electrical circuits and wiring should always be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
- Upgrading Home Electrical Wiring and Planning the Circuits
- Nick, this sounds like a great way to improve your home electrical wiring so I will direct you to the specific pages of this website that show how all of these areas of the home and the circuits are typically wired.
- Planning you electrical circuit wiring room by room especially with the kitchen, laundry room and bathroom.
- Installing new circuits that will bring the home up to current code standards will be a wise decision which will help the home to operated more efficiently and safety for your family.
More about Home Improvement Electrical Wiring
- Rewiring a Home
- Great ideas for home improvement electrical rewiring that will add value to your home and bring it up to the current safety and energy efficient electrical codes.
- Electric Circuit Listing
- The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
Electrical Wiring Plan
Basic Home Wiring Diagrams
- Bedroom Electrical Wiring Requirements
- Installing Bedroom Electrical Wiring to comply with AFCI Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
- Basement Electrical Wiring
- Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Installing Basement Electrical Wiring with the Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
- Electrical Codes for Home Wiring
- Electrician Explains Home Electrical Wiring Codes for Electric Circuits.
More about Electrical Codes For Home Wiring