Troubleshooting Light Switch Wiring
I just changed a light switch and lost power to my outlets, what did I do wrong? How to Check Light Switch Wiring Connections, Common Light Switch Wiring Problem and Solution.
Light Switch Wiring Connections
I just replaced a chandelier in the Dining Room of our home and changed the wall switch to a single pole dimmer switch.
- No problems, everything works fine, However:
- In the adjacent formal living room none of the outlets now work.
- The thing is, the two rooms share the same breaker.
- So I have power to the fixture and outlets in the dining room, but no power to the outlets in the living room.
- I’ve opened and closed the breakers, and all other outlets and light fixtures in the house work fine. Any idea what the problem might be, and how I could fix it?
This Home Electrical wiring question came from: Joe, a Homeowner from Fishers, Indiana.
See more about Home Wiring for Indiana
Thanks for your home electrical question Joe.
How to Check Light Switch Wiring
Application: Replacing Light Switches
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional fixture wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Materials: Make sure the replacement light switch has the same amperage and voltage rating as the original switch, and is fully compatible with the electrical circuit, the light fixture and the type of light bulbs being used.
Common Light Switch Wiring Problem and Solution
Example of a Switch Wiring Connection Where there is a Outlet on the Same Circuit:
- Be sure to check all the wire connections in the junction box where you just changed the light switch.
- It is very possible that there is a lost connection with a wire.
- Check to see if the outlets are wired through the dimmer switch that was just installed, if so the outlets need to be removed from the Load side of the dimmer switch and connected to the Line side.
More about Wiring Light Switches
- Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
- 3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
- Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
For more information about Troubleshooting
Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring
- Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring
- Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.