Troubleshooting Electrical Outlets
How to Repair an Outlet that Lost Power: Electrical Troubleshooting Methods for a Wall Outlet and Electrical Circuit Wiring.
Lost Power to an Outlet
Electrical Question: The power to an outlet went out.
- How do you troubleshoot the cause?
- I have already changed the circuit breaker, but that does not seem to help.
This electrical troubleshooting question came from: Pattie, a Homeowner from Rio Linda, California.
Thanks for your electrical question Pattie.
How to Repair Outlets that Lost Power
Application: Testing Electrical Circuit Wiring for Outlets.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with hand tools and electrical troubleshooting skills.
Precaution: Identify the affected outlet circuit, turn it OFF and then Tag it with a Note before performing any wiring or inspections.
Note: Electrical troubleshooting is best performed by a qualified licensed electrical contractor. Homeowners should not work in live electrical panels due to shock hazards and dangerous arc flash hazards.
Electrical Troubleshooting for a Wall Outlet and Electrical Circuit Wiring
- Identify the circuit breaker for the outlet that lost power and turn it off.
- Remove the outlet and inspect the electrical wiring.
- Look for burnt connections to the outlet or a burnt wire splice.
- Burnt or damaged wiring and splices must be replaced or repaired using new wire and materials of the same type and size.
- If the outlet is damaged then a replacement outlet of the same voltage and amperage will need to be installed.
- After the repairs are completed install the outlet and cover.
- Turn the circuit on and test the outlet for normal power.
More about Electrical Troubleshooting
- Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home.
- See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
- Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring Problems
- Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
Help for Homeowners
|« Wiring Diagrams for Installing Ceiling Fans||How to Repair a Ceiling Fan »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
See more about Electrical Wiring in Your Local Area