The Secret To Longer Lasting Light Bulbs
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
The Key To Long Lasting Light Bulbs – I have two recommendations that I’m sure will help your light bulbs last longer, and this should be considered whenever light bulbs are being installed on ceiling fans and in areas where there may be a level of any type of vibration.
How To Make Your Light Bulbs Last Longer
This home electrical question came from: Carsom, a Homeowner from London.
Thanks for your home electrical lighting question Carsom.
The Key To Long Lasting Light Bulbs
- I have two recommendations that I’m sure will help your light bulbs last longer, and this should be considered whenever light bulbs are being installed on ceiling fans and in areas where there may be a level of any type of vibration.
- Vibrations will burn out light bulbs prematurely, especially if the light bulbs are being controlled by a dimmer switch.
- Adjusting the dimmer switch will in most cases cause the filament or the small wires inside the light bulb to vibrate rapidly.
- Often this vibration produces an audible noise especially at the lower levels of light.
Electrical Tip for Long Lasting Light Bulbs
- It all starts with the initial selection and purchase of the right light bulbs.
- I recommend purchasing a good brand name light bulb, especially one that has a guarantee, and by all means, if they blow out early, return the bulbs for a refund.
- Next, make sure the light bulbs are rated for Rough Duty, Rough Service or Extended Life.
- If you are buying light bulbs in the USA, these types of bulbs generally state that they are 130 Volt, and these light bulbs have a heavier filament which means they will last longer.
- The same applies to areas in the UK, just ask for a light bulb that is Heavy Duty or any of the terms mentioned above.
- You may notice that on the light bulb isle of your hardware store there will be light bulbs specifically for ceiling fans, and you will find that these light bulbs are rated for the higher wattage.
- These light bulbs have a heavier filament, so they are naturally recommended for ceiling fans due to the vibrations that are typically produced.
More about Light Fixtures and Light Bulbs:
- 3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
- Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.