The Height for Installing Outlets and Switches
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Install Light Switches and Outlets: How High Should Outlets and Switches Be From the Floor, Remodeling and Upgrading Home Electrical Wiring.
Guide for Installing Boxes for Outlets and Switches
- I am installing electrical wiring in my home for the living room and bedroom.
- How far are Light switches off of the floor?
- The same for wall plugs, how far up should they be?
This electrical wiring question came from: Debbie, a Homeowner from Coffman Cove, Alaska.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Debbie.
How to Install Light Switches and Outlets
Application: Installing Home Electrical Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced.
Tools Required: Electricians Pouch of Hand Tools for Rough-In Wiring, Electric Drill and Auger Bits, Extension Cords, and a Ladder as needed.
Safety: All personal safety measures must be taken when performing electrical wiring projects. Estimated Time: Depends on the extent of the project, the extent of the project and available access to the project area.
Precaution: Any existing wiring in the immediate area that may interfere with the installation should be identified and turned OFF and Tagged.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring or upgrading existing electrical circuits and wiring should always be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Installing Electrical Boxes for Light Switches and Wall Outlets
- Installing Electrical Boxes for Light Switches
- The average height for light switches is 46 inches from the floor to the center of the switch box.
- Installing Electrical Boxes for Outlets
- The average height for outlets is 12 inches from the floor to the center of the outlet box.
- Remodeling and Upgrading Home Electrical Wiring
- When upgrading home electrical wiring or remodeling the actual height can be adjusted so the elevations of the switches and outlets will match other existing outlets and switches.
- Local and national electrical codes must be applied as required for the project.
- ADA, American Disability Act: Disability Codes and Standards
- Ensuring access to light switches and outlets:
- Where ADA and Disability codes will apply to a project, specific locations and elevations will be described on the set of plans or the set of blueprints.
More about Installing Light Switches and Outlets
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
How to Wire a Switch
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Lighting For The Home Lighting Electrical Codes Home Electrical Wiring Codes
Electrical Code Articles for Home Wiring
Electrical Code Directory covering installing electrical boxes and electrical wiring.