Filed under Electrical Wiring, Lighting, Sockets
The Danger of Installing Larger Light Bulbs Into Fixtures
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
The Danger of Installing Larger Light Bulbs Into Light Fixtures: How to Keep Your Light Fixtures Safe from Fire Danger.
Installing Light Bulbs in Light Fixtures
- My friend heard one of the sockets “pop” and all of the lamps quit working. She tried putting the correct wattage bulb in the lamps, but they still didn’t work. She had an electrician come by who took the lamps down and cut the damaged sockets from the pendant cords. He quoted her $600 to fix the lamps, but did not say what work would be involved in the fix.
- I noticed that one of the copper wires connected to the cut-off socket was a green patina, the other was still copper. The wires from the cut end of the pendants are both copper and don’t seem to be damaged.
- I’ve wired tons of tabletop lamps and I’m comfortable replacing the socket. I also have access through my job to manufacturers who will definitely carry any replacement parts I’ll need.
- But is it possible that there is more damage I haven’t considered that will not be helped by simply replacing the sockets? What do I look for?
Background: Lauren, a Homeowner from Newport Beach, CA.
Thanks for your home electrical question Lauren.
How to Keep Your Light Fixtures Safe from Fire Danger
The Danger of Installing Larger Light Bulbs Into Light Fixtures
- This is why you should never replaced the bulbs with a wattage higher than the recommended. Installing a larger lamp into the fixture socket will create more heat which can lead to a possible fire, so this practice is dangerous and definitely not recommended.
- The quoted cost to perform this repair work is extremely high, and the damage may be limited to the socket which will need to be replaced with another identical light socket.
More about Light Bulbs
- What Size Light Bulb Is Safe For Fixtures?
- Using Correct Light Bulbs for Your Light Fixture
- Electrical Repairs For Light Fixtures
- How To Extract A Broken Light Bulb From A Socket
- Repairing Light Fixture Electrical Wiring
- Understanding Electrical Circuit Wiring
Topics related to Light Bulbs
Home Lighting: Benefits and warnings about CFL Light Bulbs
Dave the Electrician Explains the Benefits and warnings about CFL Compact Flourescent Lamps.
Home Lighting and Light Bulbs
Lighting with a variety of light bulbs compliments all the rooms or your home and gives you the ability to set the kind of mood and appeal you desire.
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.
|« Wiring Hallway Lights and Switches||Wiring for an Electric Range Circuit »|