Telephone System Grounding
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Provide an Earth Grounding for a Telephone Communications System: Installing a Ground Clamp for a Telephone.
Telephone System Grounding for an Existing Home
- My Dad wants to just put something in the clamp, like a piece of wire, to help make it snug.
How can I help him?
This electrical question came from: Sean, a Student from New York, New York.
Thanks for your electrical question Sean.
Grounding Telephone Communications
Application: Wiring a Telephone.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a Certified Electrician or Telephone Technician.
Tools Required: Basic Straight Slot and Philips Screw Drivers, wire strippers for 20 to 24 gauge wire.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools and small phone wires.
Precaution: If installing or relocating additional telephone wiring, or replacing a phone jack the main phone cable or the Test Jack should be disconnected before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional telephone cable wiring and replacement parts should be done using approved phone cable and phone jacks that are approved and compatible with the local telephone company system specifications.
Installing a Ground Clamp for a Telephone
- With an existing home it may be best to install a new ground clamp onto the ground rod that is sized to allow the ground wire from the telephone system box.
- Adding the telephone system ground wire to the home electrical system ground wire clamp is not advisable.
More about Telephone Wiring
Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects
with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Electrical Grounding Methods and Requirements
- Listing of electrical codes for grounding with examples of electrical grounding codes for home electrical wiring.
Topics related to Wiring a Telephone
Electrical Repair: Telephone cable repair splice
Electrician Explains Telephone cable repair splice.