Switch Wiring for a Ceiling Fan and Recessed Lights
How do I wire a ceiling fan from a switch box that controls other fixtures? How to Install Wiring for a Light Switch that controls a Ceiling Fan and Recessed Lights.
Wiring Ceiling Fan and Recessed Lights
Electrical Question: How do I wire a ceiling fan from a switch box that controls other fixtures?
- I have a 2-wire cable coming into switch box from power supply.
- There is a 3-wire cable from the switch box to a ceiling fan with no light fixture on fan.
- There is also a 2-wire cable from the ceiling fan to 6 recessed light cans that I want to switch from the origination switch box and operate the fan with the pull chain switch only.
- I Think I know how but could you verify this for me?
This electrical question came from: Frank, a Homeowner from Gonzales County, Texas.
Additional Comments: Great, informative website.
Thanks for your Ceiling Fan Question Frank.
How to Install Wiring for a Light Switch that controls a Ceiling Fan and Recessed Lights
Application: Wiring for a Ceiling Fan Switch and Recessed Lights.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools and electrical wiring.
Precaution: Identify the ceiling fan power source or circuit at the panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the switch wiring.
Materials: Make sure the switches for each device are fully compatible with the ceiling fan you have and the size of the lamps that will be installed in the fixture.
Wiring Method for a Ceiling Fan and Recessed Lights
- A separate wall switch will be required for the ceiling fan.
- A separate wall switch will be required for the recessed can light fixtures.
- The connection at the ceiling fan would leave one switched wire for the ceiling fan operation.
- The other switched wire which would connect to the 2-wire cable leading to the recessed cans lights.
- The white neutral wire is shared by both the ceiling fan and the recessed light fixtures.
- This is all assuming that the power and neutral originates at the wall switch box.
More about Wiring Recessed lights and Ceiling Fan Switches
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
How To Install Recessed Lighting
This article is about recessed lighting for your home electrical improvements. Discover how recessed lighting can enhance the mood of any room in your home.
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|« How To Troubleshoot Wall Receptacle Problems||Understanding Light Switch Wiring »|