Sure Signs of Electrical Trouble with a Light Fixture
How to Troubleshoot and Repair a Light Fixture: Indications of Light Fixture Wiring Problems, Light Fixture Wiring Splices, Moisture or Water Leaks Around Light Fixtures, How to Check Light Fixture Wiring, Hot Light Bulbs That Cause Wiring Problems.
Light Fixture Problems and How to Fix Them
Electrical Question: There are water stains on the drywall, under my attic, resulting from a faulty installation of the water pump equipment in the attic.
- The water pump problem has been fixed, however, there is a light in the hall with water stains around it.
- I haven’t used that light in years, as there is another one close by.
- The bulb in this light fixture has been burned out for years, and I just haven’t bothered with it, since I don’t need it. However, I noticed the metal around the bowl is hot.
- I’m thinking, well maybe even though the light is burned out, perhaps I had the switch on; would that cause the metal around the bowl to be hot, when the bulb is burned out? Or, might it more likely have something to do with that water leak?
This home Electrical Troubleshooting Question came from: Jeff, from Gold River, California.
Thanks for your Electrical Troubleshooting Question Jeff.
How to Troubleshoot and Repair a Light Fixture
Application: Light Fixture Wiring.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Hand Tools and Safe Ladder.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal experience, the type of light fixture and access to the light fixture.
Precaution: Identify the light fixture circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Replacement parts for the light fixture should be compatible with the type of lamps that have been installed.
Indications of Light Fixture Wiring Problems
- Light Fixture Connections
- Light fixtures are mounted onto an electrical box where the electrical connections are made with the light fixture wiring and the electrical circuit wiring.
- Light Circuit Wiring
- Some of these junctions may contain several wires which go to a few different locations which will be used for a variety of functions depending on the actual circuit design.
- Light Fixture Wiring Splices
- At times electrical connections or splice joints may deteriorate which can cause arcing which produces heat, and this could lead to a short circuit or worse.
- Moisture or Water Leaks Around Light Fixtures
- With this question the water leak problem may have been a factor which could have contributed to a bad electrical connection which may have accelerated to become a deteriorating connection as described above which may be producing heat onto the light fixture housing.
- How to Check Light Fixture Wiring
- In a situation such as this I would turn off the power and remove the light fixture and inspect the electrical wiring and connections, looking for damage and making the necessary repairs as needed.
- Hot Light Bulbs That Cause Wiring Problems
- Heat that is being produced due to a bad electrical connection or electrical splice is dangerous and should be checked right away.
More about Light Fixtures and Switches
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
|« What Size Sub-Panel Should I Install for My Garage?||How to Wire a 230 Volt AC Welder »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.