Sump Pump Circuit Wiring
Installing Electrical Circuit Wiring for a Sump Pump and providing the necessary GFCI protection and means of disconnect.
Wire Size for a Sump Pump Circuit
Electrical Question #1: I plan to put a separate circuit in for the sump pump in my septic system.
- I have a Rigid 1/2 horse pump (10.5 amp motor) and will be using a 20 amp breaker.
- The wire I have on hand is 14 gauge.
- Is this an adequate wire, or do I need to get a larger gauge?
This electrical wiring question came from Duane, a Homeowner from Ravenna, Ohio.
Electrical Question #2: Is a sump pump in a basement required to be on a GFCI Outlet?
- Should a sump pump in a basement be protected by a GFCI outlet?
This electrical wiring question came from Joseph in Baltimore, Maryland.
Thank you for your electrical questions.
Electrical Wiring for a Sump Pump Circuit
- The wire size that should be used for the 20 amp septic sump pump circuit should be #12 gauge.
- The sump pump should be protected by either a GFCI outlet or a GFCI circuit breaker.
- A means of disconnect for the sump pump must be located within sight and readily accessible.
- If a receptacle outlet will be installed then a weather proof cover must be installed to offer protection from the weather even while the sump pump is plugged in.
More about Sump Pump and GFI Wiring
GFI Outlet Wiring
This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
Electric Circuit Listing
The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring.
- When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
For more information about Circuit Wiring
Electrical Circuit Wiring
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Browse other questions about this topic:
Sump Pump Circuit 20 amp pump circuit, Electrical, electrical wiring, pump circuit wire, pump question, pump wire size, septic system circuit, sump pump circuit, sump pump gfci, sump pump outlet, wiring
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.