Sump Pump Circuit Wiring
Installing Electrical Circuit Wiring for a Sump Pump and providing the necessary GFCI protection and means of disconnect.
Wire Size for a Sump Pump Circuit
- I have a Rigid 1/2 horse pump (10.5 amp motor) and will be using a 20 amp breaker.
- The wire I have on hand is 14 gauge.
- Is this an adequate wire, or do I need to get a larger gauge?
This electrical wiring question came from: Duane, a Homeowner from Ravenna, Ohio.
Thanks for your electrical question Duane.
Electrical Wiring for a Sump Pump Circuit
- The wire size that should be used for the 20 amp septic sump pump circuit should be #12 gauge.
- The sump pump should be protected by either a GFCI outlet or a GFCI circuit breaker.
- A means of disconnect for the sump pump must be located within sight and readily accessible.
- If a receptacle outlet will be installed then a weather proof cover must be installed to offer protection from the weather even while the sump pump is plugged in.
More about Sump Pump and GFI Wiring
GFI Outlet Wiring
This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
Electric Circuit Listing
The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring.
- When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
For more information about Circuit Wiring
Electrical Circuit Wiring
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.