Electrical Wiring for Light Fixtures
Is the electrical wiring safe for the light fixture I want to install? The Current Rating of Electrical Wires for Light Fixtures, Installing a Light Fixture, Wiring a Light Fixture.
Old Wiring for Light Fixtures
- My house is 38 years old, and I’m wondering if my electrical supply wires can handle the current that a light fixture will need.
- I’m installing a chandelier light fixture in my kitchen.
- The previous owner removed the old light fixture.
- I found the following printed on one of the wires of the light fixture: “18AWGX2C 105(degree symbol)C 300V”.
- From what I understand, this means the electrical supply wires need to be rated for 105 degrees.
- There is nothing printed on the supply wires to indicate a rating.
- Do you think it would be dangerous to install this light fixture?
This Electrical Wiring question came from: Matt, from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Thanks for your electrical question about light fixtures Matt.
Electric Circuit Wiring for Light Fixtures
Application: Electrical Wiring for a Light Fixture.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the light fixture.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional light fixture wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Light Fixtures and Old Electric Wire Ratings
- Electrical Current Rating of Electrical Wires for Light Fixtures
- If the home electrical wiring is original then the circuit wiring should be fine and rated for 15 amps minimum.
- This can be verified by identifying the circuit that the light fixture will be installed on and check the circuit or fuse rating, which should be either 15 or 20 amps, as installed.
- Because the light fixture has 18 gauge AWG wire this would indicate that the wire size is smaller and the amperage of the light fixture will be under 15 amps.
- To find out what the exact electrical load of the light fixture simply make a list of the number of light bulbs and the watts of the bulbs, perform the math and you will have the total number of watts for your chandelier fixture.
- Most of the popular brand name light fixtures will have a UL Approved listing or label which will indicate that the light fixture and all of its components, light sockets and wiring have been tested to be safe for the specific application and installation.
More about Light Fixture Electrical Wiring
Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
- How to Install Kitchen Electrical Wiring
Kitchen Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Kitchen Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
- Lighting For The Home
- Lighting Electrical Codes