Rich asks Why is There No Power to the Light Switch?
Why is there is No Power to the ceiling fan Light Switch? How to Identify the Wiring for a the Light Switch.
Light Switch Power
Electrical Question: Why is there is no power to the ceiling fan light switch?
- I am attempting to add a light kit to my ceiling fan. Piece of cake job, my dad taught me well. Here’s my problem. I live in a house built in the 90’s. On the live wires on the ceiling fan got the light kit I tested and no power. I went to the only switch there could be to turn on the light and that switch has no power. How in the heck am I supposed to back track to find why there is no power to the light switch, which I am sure there is no power going to the light connection wires on the ceiling fan. How do you reverse engineer and find where the wiring goes and why no power to it.
This electrical wiring question came from Rich, a Handyman, in Wilmington, North Carolina.
Additional Comments: Good website, I am using this for skill level. I was a framing sub for years and can handle just about anything in a home except HVAC. I am not a licensed electrician but I can hold my own in residential wiring from scratch or besides an issue like this. Please help.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Rich.
No Power to a Light Switch
Wiring for a the Light Switch
- Identify the Wiring for a the Light Switch
- Start by examining the wiring in the electrical box where the ceiling fan is located. Compare the wiring to the wires found at the light switch in the room.
- Compare the wiring to the Ceiling Fan wiring Diagrams found at the links I have provided below. You will need to identify where the circuit power is located, and then test the wiring found at the light switch, and back up to the ceiling light box.
- A voltage tester will be very helpful to help identify the wiring.
More about Wiring a Light Switch for a Ceiling Fan
Installing a Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagram #1
Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagram #1 Explains Show the Wiring and Connections to the Fan and Switches
Installing a Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagram #2
Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagram #2 Explains Show the Wiring and Connections to the Fan and Two Switches
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
|« Wiring a Wall Switch and Outlet Combo Device||Ryan asks Why did the Light in my Ceiling Fan Quit Working »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
See more about Electrical Wiring in Your Local Area