Replacing Aluminum Electrical Wiring with Copper
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
Guide to Upgrading Aluminum Wiring to Copper Wiring: Electrical Circuits, Lighting Circuits, AFCI Circuit, Living Room Circuit.
Rewiring Aluminum Circuits with Copper Wire
This electrical question came from: Mark, a Homeowner from Tonawanda, New York.
Additional Comments: Great website. Lots of help for the guy with limited electrical knowledge.
Thanks for your electrical question Mark.
Application: Upgrading Older Home Electrical Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced.
Tools Required: Electricians Pouch of Hand Tools for Rough-In Wiring, Electric Drill and Auger Bits, Extension Cords, and Ladders.
Construction Safety: All personal safety measures must be taken when performing remodel projects where you may come into contact with hazardous materials and environmental contaminants such as fiberglass insulation, vermiculite and asbestos, molds or mildew, as well as dust.
Estimated Time: Depends on the extent of the project, the type of wall coverings and structural construction and available access to the project area.
Precaution: Any existing wiring in the immediate area that may interfere with the installation should be identified and turned OFF and Tagged.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring or upgrading existing electrical circuits and wiring should always be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Guide to Upgrading Aluminum Wiring to Copper Wiring
Considerations when rewiring a home and replacing aluminum wiring with copper wire.
- Electrical Circuits
- Keep track of the number of devices that will be on each circuit, such as outlets and light fixtures.
- Lighting Circuits
- With the lighting circuits attention should be given to the number of fixtures and the size light bulb that will be installed.
- AFCI Circuit
- Generally I install 14/2 for the bedroom AFCI circuit and I install 14/2 for my lighting circuits, again keeping track of the number of outlets or light fixtures that will be on the circuits.
- Living Room Circuit
- The same applies to the circuit wiring for the living room. Plan for any future loads such as large screen flat panel TV, home entertainment systems etc.
- Aluminum Wiring
- Replacing the #12 gauge aluminum wiring with copper wire is always a great thing to do, I highly recommend it.
- Large Electrical Circuits
- Larger amperage loads being served with aluminum wire is OK unless the equipment states that aluminum wire should not be used, such is the case with hot tubs and air conditioners and other equipment that requires copper wire only.
More about Home Wiring
Electric Circuit Listing
The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
How to Install Bedroom Electrical Wiring
Bedroom Electrical Wiring Requirements
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bedroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
For more information about Home Wiring
Basic Home Wiring Diagrams with Pictures
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
Learn How to Wire it Right!
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.