Replacing a Fluorescent Light Fixture
Can I replace a fluorescent light with a magnetic ballast with a florescent light fixture without a ballast? I am replacing an old fluorescent ballast with a energy saving electronic ballast.
Options When Replacing Fluorescent Fixtures
Electrical Question: Can I replace a fluorescent light with a magnetic ballast with a florescent light fixture without a ballast?
- I am replacing an old fluorescent ballast with a energy saving electronic ballast.
- The cover on my kitchen fluorescent light fixture broke off. All the clips that held them in broke.
- The light works, the ballast works, It’s just ugly. I want to replace the whole light fixture.
- My question is can I replace the fluorescent tube lighting with the original magnetic ballast with a florescent light fixture without a ballast?
Background: Eddy, a Homeowner from Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Additional Comments: Very helpful.
Thanks for your electrical question Eddy.
How to Replace Fluorescent Light Fixtures or Broken Lenses
Application: Fluorescent Light Fixture Wiring.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Hand Tools and Safe Ladder.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal experience, the type of light fixture and access to the fixture.
Precaution: Identify the light fixture circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Replacement parts for the light fixture should be compatible with the type of fluorescent lamps that have been installed.
- Typically all new fluorescent light fixtures have an electronic ballast.
- There may still be some of the older magnetic ballast types available as well.
- You may want to search the internet for a replacement plastic lenses for your light fixture which are available through aftermarket manufacturers, or check with your local craft store who carries plastic or plexiglass supplies that may be used to create a replacement light fixture cover lens.
Planning and Installing Home Lighting
Home lighting articles covering recessed lighting, under cabinet lighting, lighting terminology and more.
Browse other questions about this topic:
Fluorescent Lighting canada, electrical ballast, electronic ballast, fluorescent light cover, fluorescent light fixture, light fixture cover, light fixture lens, replacement light fixture
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.