Replacing a Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switch
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
I Replaced the Pull Chain Switch in my Ceiling Fan with a new switch and now the Motor Does Not Work Right: How to Replace and Wire a Pull Chain Switch for a Ceiling Fan.
If this is your first visit, be sure to sign up for your Free Electrical Tips and eBook.
Your Comments and Electrical Questions are always welcome.
Pull Chain Switch for a Ceiling Fan
I replaced the pull chain ceiling fan switch with a new switch. The ceiling fan has 3 speeds, so this is a 3-speed ceiling fan switch. When I turn on the fan it is on high speed all the time and won’t turn off with the pull chain switch.
- I connected the electrical wiring as follows:
- The black wire on the L (Line)
- The gray wire on #1,
- The brown wire on #2
- The purple wire on #3
I even changed wires around on the switch but it still won’t change speeds properly. What is causing this to happen?
Thank you for your time in this matter.
This electrical question came from: Roger, a Handyman from Houston, Texas.
Thanks for your electrical question Roger.
Wiring a Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switch
Application: Replacing a Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switch.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Materials: Make sure the replacement pull chain switch has the same as the original switch, and is fully compatible with the ceiling fan you have.
Replacing a Pull Chain Switch for a Ceiling Fan
- Before replacing the existing ceiling fan pull chain switch with the new switch it is best to examine the wiring connections of all of the wires to the existing pull chain switch.
- Compare the existing pull chain switch with the new pull chain switch that has been purchased.
- Mark the wires or make a drawing with the wiring connections is very helpful as well.
- If the original wiring configuration is unknown, then locate the make and model number of the ceiling fan which will help locate a new replacement switch.
- IMPORTANT: Not all pull chain switches are alike, therefore the wire colors may be different from the wires in the ceiling fan.
- Wire Connections: When wiring the new switch the power wire will need to be identified, then each wire for the three speeds for the motor.
More about Ceiling Fan Switch Wiring
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
- Step-by-step pictures
- Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide
- Light and fan switch variations
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams
- Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams
- Pictures that will assist you with your Home Electrical Projects
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.