Filed under Ceiling Fans, Pull Chain Switch
Replacing a Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switch
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Replace and Wire a Pull Chain Switch for a Ceiling Fan: The ceiling fan has 3 speeds, so this is a 3-speed ceiling fan switch.
Replacing a Pull Chain Switch for a Ceiling Fan
- I connected the electrical wiring as follows:
- the black wire on the L (Line)
- connected the gray wire on #1,
- connected brown wire on #2
- connected purple wire on #3
I even changed wires around on the switch but it still won’t change speeds properly. What is causing this to happen?
Thank you for your time in this matter.
This electrical question came from: Roger, a Handyman from Houston, Texas.
Thanks for your electrical question Roger.
Electrical Wiring for a Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switch
- Before replacing the existing ceiling fan pull chain switch with the new one you must always examine the wiring configuration for all of the wires, and compare this to the new pull chain switch that has been purchased.
- Marking the wires or drawing a wiring diagram is very helpful as well.
- If the wiring configuration is unknown, then searching for the make and model number on the internet for the wiring diagram will be required in order to rewire the new switch.
- Essentially, the line will need to be identified, then the three speeds for the motor.
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
How to Replace and Wire a Pull Chain Switch for a Ceiling Fan
- Step-by-step pictures
- Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide
- Light and fan switch variations
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams
- Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams
- Pictures that will assist you with your Home Electrical Projects
Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types
- and parts used for home projects
- with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.
|« Kitchen Light Fixture Wiring||Wiring a GFCI Outlet Circuit »|