Filed under Electrical
Replacing 2 Wire and 3 Wire Receptacle Outlets
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Wire Replacement Electric Outlets: Types of Outlets, 2-Wire Outlet and 3-Wire Outlet, Outlet Wiring Connection, Outlet Trips a Circuit Breaker.
Wiring Methods When Replacing Outlets
- The existing wire is 12-2, I removed the old outlet and installed a new one ,connected the wires and the ground.
- When I turned the power on my detector sensed power throughout the whole receptacle but when I plugged into the outlet I could not get power through the outlet into the device I plugged in. ( device aka shop-vac).
- What did I do wrong and is there a way to correct it?
This electrical wiring question came from: Richard, a Homeowner from Coplay, PA.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Richard.
How to Wire Replacement Electric Outlets
- Types of Outlets
- Receptacle outlets should be replaced with the same type, and the same voltage and amperage rating.
- 2-Wire Outlets and 3-Wire Outlets
- Three wire outlets should not be installed if a ground wire is not present, two wire receptacles may be purchased and installed instead.
- Outlet Wiring Connections
- Wiring connections should match what was found on the original outlet. Only one wire is to be used per screw terminal.
- Outlets that Trip a Circuit Breaker
- If the circuit is tripping the circuit breaker then the wiring connections and installation methods must be checked and verified.
More about Replacing Receptacle Outlets
electrical outlet wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about Outlet Wiring
How to Install Electrical Outlets
Wiring Electrical Outlets
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Wiring Electrical Outlets with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.
|« Using a Control Relay for Well Pump Operation||Identifying the Cause of Improper Voltage Readings »|