Repairing Light Fixture Electrical Wiring
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
What to do when a Light Fixture Does Not Work – The feed tested at 120volts the switch and the light tested at 120volts, but when I screw the bulb in the light it doesn’t work
Understanding Light Fixture Electrical Wiring
- I ran new wire to the switch and light.
- The feed tested at 120v the switch and the light tested at 120volt.
- When I screw the bulb in the light it doesn’t work.
- I then wired the same light same bulb and plugged it in to a different outlet and it worked.
- I wired the same light and bub straight into the feed wire and the bulb wouldn’t work.
- I tested the socket and it showed 120v but the bulb wont work.
- I tried new bulb same result.
I am at a loss what could this be?
The Light Fixture Components are:
- One power feed.
- One light fixture.
- One light switch.
- One light bulb.
It should be simple but I’m dumbfounded!
Background: Mary Ann, a Handy-Woman from Centre Alabama
Thanks for your Lighting Question Mary Ann.
Yup – these are the one’s that make you loose some hair – I know!
Checks for Light Fixture Electrical Wiring
- Wiring connections
- Wire splices
What to do when a Light Fixture Does Not Work
- Make sure you are testing the hot and neutral, not just the hot.
- Lighting socket tangs, or the center contact connection in the light socket, turn off the light switch and pull this metal contact up slightly. sometimes they get bent down and will not make contact.
- The six foot drop test, well maybe not, (but you sure would like to!)
Considerations for the Electrical Troubleshooter
- Plenty of rest.
- Lots of patience.
- A clear mind.
- No yelling kids or yacking spouses near by.
- What ever you do, don’t throw the thing across the room, kick the cat instead. Here’s a Hint:
The problem is staring you right in the face, it always is!
The Following resources will assist you with your electrical question:
3 Way Switch Diagram
electrical outlet wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Light Switch Wiring
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.