Repairing Electrical Outlets That Do Not Work
How Can I Fix Outlets that Do Not Work? How to Troubleshoot Outlet Wiring Problems and Make Repairs.
Troubleshooting Electric Outlet Problems
Electrical Question: How can I fix Outlets that Do Not Work?
- I have four outlets that do not work. I checked to see how many outlets are on this circuit by plugging in a radio.
- There are 6 plugs on this circuit.
- One is for a a master bathroom and one is outside back deck.
- The other outlets are down stairs for a bathroom, garage, and in the front outside of the home.
- I changed the GFI with the same brand name and I changed four of the non working plugs.
- The problem is that after and even before I changed the plugs and breaker, it works for short time and then sometimes it works if I plug the refrigerator that is in the garage which has been in the garage for 19 years, however this problem just started a few months ago. The GFI breaker never trips either.
- So I plug in the radio to test the plug that do not work and four do not work but two outlets do work on the GFI breaker circuit(one is one of the 3 bathroom outlets,one is the back deck outlet).
- I went to Home Depot and I talked to a retired electrician and he told me to change the plugs and cut off some wire which I did all, but I still have the same problem.
Background: Vito, a Homeowner from Bristol, Tennessee.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Vito.
How to Fix Electrical Outlets that Do Not Work
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with hand tools and electrical troubleshooting skills.
Precaution: Identify the outlet circuit, turn it OFF and then Tag it with a Note before performing any wiring or inspections.
Note: Electrical troubleshooting outlet circuits is best performed by a qualified electrical contractor.
Troubleshooting Outlet Wiring Problems and Making Repairs
When a receptacle outlet circuit stops working it is time to identify the circuit and consider the devices that are plugged into the circuit, then examine the electrical splices and devices which will most likely reveal the problem.
- Inspect the Wiring for Faulty Connections
From the information that has been provided, I suspect an intermittent or deteriorated connection at the receptacle outlet at the refrigerator that is in the garage.
- Check Wire Splices
There is a good possibility that the wiring for all of the locations that do not work are spliced in the outlet box of the refrigerator.
- Repair Damaged Wiring
The damaged wiring a splices must be repaired using properly sized electrical wiring and splice connectors and wiring methods.
More about Repairing Electrical Wiring
Electrical Junction Box Splice
- Electrical junction box splices can be made safely when you understand the method. This example will show you how its done step by step and shows how to make a junction box splice and the related electrical codes.
- Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring Problems
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
Types of Electrical Testers
GFCI Electrical Wiring
- This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
Electrical Circuit Wiring
- This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|« How to Replace Switch Controlled Outlets||The Cause of an Incorrect Voltage Problem »|