Range Circuit Wiring and 3-Wire Outlets
How to Connect an Electric Range Cord: Electric Range Installation with a typical 220 or 240 Volt electric power cord wiring system, You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric range cord.
Connections for a 3-Wire Range Cord
Example #1 of Wiring a Range
- My new stove has a 4 wire plug. My receptacle was 3 wire.
- I changed the receptacle box to 4 wire, meaning I wired in my current 3 wires into the new 4 wire box. Red and black wired to hot sides, the white wire I fastened to the green ground screw.
- This, of course, left one screw not being used. I now know that I could have just used my old 3 wire receptacle and used a three wire cord to the new stove.
- I was told that ALL new ranges required a 4 wire cord but have read that is for new constructions after 1996. Three wires can be still used.
- It seems I did the reverse, changed the receptacle from 3 wire to 4 instead of changing the range cord to fit my current 3 wire receptacle.
- Do I need to go back and change the receptacle to three wire again and change the range cord from 4wire to 3 or can I just leave it as is?
This electrical wiring question came from Dave, in Jamestown, Ohio.
Example #2 of Wiring a Range
Electrical Question: Can I use the bare ground wire for a 240volt range receptacle?
- I am installing a new electric range oven in a remodeled kitchen.
- I asked the gentlemen working at my local home center what size and type wire I needed for the connection.
- He told me a 50 amp breaker (which I already knew) but he sold me #6/2 wire with ground.
- I am installing a 3 prong receptacle on this wire.
- Can I use the bare ground wire as the neutral white wire on the receptacle?
This electrical wiring question came from: Clint, a Homeowner from Port Allen, Louisiana.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Dave and Clint.
How to Connect an Electric Range Cord
Application: 220 Volt or 240 Range Cord Wiring.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the available access to the range cord electrical connection box.
Precaution: Identify the range circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the range cord wiring.
Is a Neutral Wire Required for a 240 volt Range?
The electric range that is described in this question may not not require a white neutral wire if the installation manual of the range states this specifically. Many electric ranges will allow a 3wire cord rather than a 4wire cord as you will see when you click the link below which will provide the wiring diagrams and information about wiring a kitchen range.
Why a New Range Circuit Should Have a 3-Wire Cable with a Ground
When installing a new cable for dedicated circuit to a 240 volt range consider installing a 3-wire cable with a ground wire, (4 wires total). This way the circuit will be compatible with a new range that will require a dedicated neutral wire and separate ground wire.
More about Wiring a 240 Volt Electric Range
- Wiring a Kitchen Range
Wiring a Kitchen Range Power Cord
- Fully Described Electric Range Installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system. You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric range. Lets look at how the electric range is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
The Following will assist you with Connecting a Range Cord
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home electric range projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.