PVC Conduit and Electrical Wiring For Outdoor Lighting
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Install Wiring for Outdoor Lighting: Planning Circuits and Switch Wiring for Outdoor Lighting.
Outdoor Lighting Circuit Wiring
- Am using 3 strands of individual 12 AWG electrical wire and housed in Sch 40 grey PVC conduit.
- I’m unsure of how to run the electrical wiring from one light (or box) to the next.
- Appears as if I’d need a 3-way tee and junction box to continue the wiring run – but suspect that’s not appropriate.
Background: Ross, a Homeowner from Collegeville, Pa.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Ross.
Electrical Circuits and Switch Wiring for Outdoor Lighting
Application: Outdoor Lighting.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Depends on the number of lights that will be required within the circuit wiring.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tool, Voltage Tester, trenching equipment or shovels .
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools and the condition of the soil where PVC conduit will be installed.
Precaution: Identify the lighting circuit or power source, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring and connections.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring for outdoor lighting should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
How to Install Wiring for Outdoor Lighting
- Connecting PVC conduit electrical wiring is much the same as Romex wiring.
- You will need to bring up the PVC conduit to a desired location and extend it up to a junction box location and make your loops from that point on.
- Additional under floor loops can be installed as necessary.
- The key is to plan your circuits and switching ahead so you can size your conduits and junction boxes accordingly. Understand that junction boxes may be used for outlets or switches too.
More about Outdoor Electrical Wiring
The following resources lead to detailed information that will assist you with your electrical wiring question:
- Light Up Your Home for Beauty Safety and Security – This is a Comprehensive Guide to Outdoor Lighting.
- Answers your questions about different types of outdoor lights such as Motion Detectors, Wall Mounted Lights and Low-Voltage Landscape Lighting.