Possible Causes of Lost Electrical Power
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
What would cause a circuit to loose power after an electrical storm? How to Diagnose Electrical Problems and Lost Power After Electrical Storm.
Lost Power After Electrical Storm
- I returned home after an electrical storm to find one circuit dead, or at least the neutral is missing.
- All connections show hot on black to ground but not on neutral.
- Back trace won’t work with the tester as it needs power at the receptacle.
- All breakers have hot to ground.
- I’m not experienced with electric but I am analytical enough to eliminate the obvious.
Your help is very much appreciated.
Background: Glen, a Homeowner from Sumter, South Carolina.
Additional Comments: Great site for homeowners.
Thanks for your electrical question Glen.
How to Diagnose Electrical Problems and Lost Power After Electrical Storm
- Symptoms such as this indicate that the neutral may have been lost at the panel.
- This could be on the electrical utility side of your service, so I would call them right away. Tell them that you suspect that the neutral has been lost at the main service. They will come out and test their side of the service.
- If their side of the service checks out OK, then troubleshooting at the main panel will be required, paying close attention to the neutral conductors and terminations.
- Be aware that in a situation such as this where a problem may require service work and repairs, your homeowners policy may cover you for this.
- Contact your insurance agent or company – many of them have 24/7 emergency numbers, inform them of what has happened. In many cases they will have a preferred contractor that they can call right away that will be dispatched to come out and asses the situation and get your service corrected.
- I have personally worked on several situations just like what you are experiencing right now.
- The level of repair varies, but let’s hope for the best so you can get your power restored.
I hope this helps you.
I Keep Losing Power to Half my House
- Some of the outlets and lights just go out while the rest work or stay on. Sometimes it goes out and comes back right away and other times it goes out for an hour or so then comes back on. No breakers are tripping.
- The panel in my house is older. Am I losing a phase from the pole?
More about Lost Electrical Power to a Home
Troubleshooting and Repairing Electrical Wiring
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
Circuit Breakers and Fuses
Electrical Codes for Services
Home Electrical Repairs