Planning Your Electrical Wiring Project
How Should I add Electric Wiring from One Room to Another Area? Planning for Home Electrical Wiring Projects, How to Correct Wiring Mistakes or Incorrect Electrical Connections.
Home Electrical Wiring
Electrical Question:How Should I add Electric Wiring from One Room to Another Area?
- I wanted electricity in my upstairs area so I ran a 14/2 wire to the upstairs while my downstairs bath was being remodeled and a wall was open.
- This new wire runs through a switch box on the first floor and now I only have power on the second floor when that switch is on, and I can’t leave it on all the time.
- It’s almost funny except that the wall is now closed up.
This electrical wiring question came from: Dave, a Handyman from Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Dave.
Careful Planning for Home Electrical Wiring Projects
Application: Installing Electric Circuit Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced, Best installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, electric drill, auger bits and extension cord.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and install electrical circuit wiring.
Precaution: Identify the panel circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring. Working in an electric panel is dangerous due to arc flash hazards and the possibility of electric shock.
Notice: Installing additional circuit wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Installing Home Electrical Wiring from an Existing Room
Adding Electrical Wiring
Before adding electrical wiring be sure to consider the following:
- Always plan your electrical project in advance.
- Determine what devices will be connected to the circuit in the new location.
- Size the circuit appropriately.
- Obtain the necessary permits and inspections.
How to Fix Wiring Mistakes or Incorrect Electrical Connections
With this electrical question we have a lesson about planning, so lets see what the options are to get this circuit working correctly:
- The good thing about the condition as described in this question is that there is obviously a neutral and a hot wire present in the switch box, the only problem is that the power is run through the switch, so the solution would be to connect to the power source before the switch.
- What is unknown here is what you intend to do with this extended circuit that is now feeding the upstairs area. Therefore, you need to plan out how the circuit will be used, and realize that the amount of power will be limited because it is a branch off of an existing circuit in the downs stair area which is being used for other devices.
- You also have the option of having a qualified electrical contractor take care of all of this for you as well.
More about Home Electric Wiring Projects
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
DIY Wiring for the Homeowner and Handyman
Browse other questions about this topic:
Electrical Wiring Planning add electric wiring, add electricity, add home wiring, electrical circuit, electrical project, fix wiring connection, home electrical, planning electrical wiring
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.