Permitted Electrical Cords for Dryer
How to Make Sure Your Dryer Cord is Correct: Before using alternative dryer cords you may want to read this
Permitted Electrical Cords for Dryer Wiring
Question: I have a Kenmore Elite Dryer (Electric) Model 110.62952100 (120V/240V, 28A, 60Hz) and want to replace the current power cord with a 25ft power cord.
- The current power cord is a 10 gauge, 4 wire SRDT power supply cord with a right angle NEMA 14-30P plug.
- Can I replace with 25 foot 8 gauge, 4 wire type SOOW Power Supply Cable?
- I would attach to one end of the 25 ft power supply cable a Hubbell HBL9432C NEMA 14-30P Angled Plug and to the other end, 4 Non-Insulated Ring Terminals, 8 AWG, 1/4 Stud.
Background: Greg, a Homeowner from Atlanta, GA
Thanks for your electrical question Greg.
How to Make Sure Your Dryer Cord is Correct
Before using an alternative dryer cord you may want to read this.
Your proposal poses a few problems:
- The manufacturer states that an outlet be placed within 2 feet of either side of the dryer, and that an extension cord is not allowed.
- The cord length is recommended to be 4 feet long.
- Installing the type and length of cord that you are proposing is in reality an extension cord.
Here is What I Would Do
- An alternative solution would be to place an extension junction box at the existing circuit location and install an approved surface conduit to the proposed location using four 10 gauge copper wires to a new junction box location where the dryer outlet can be installed within the specified 2 feet area of the dryer.
- Secure the conduit with straps at six foot intervals and within twelve inches of the junction boxes.
- Use wire connectors to splice each identified wire.
- Place a blank cover over the original junction box location.
RESOURCES FOR WIRING A DRYER CORD
Wiring a Dryer for 3-Wire and 4-Wire Cords
3-Wire and 4-Wire Configurations for Clothes Dryers
See an electric dryer installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system. You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric dryer, or a 3-wire or 4-wire outlet. Lets look a how the electric dryer is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
|« Ceiling Fan and Light Start Delay Problem||Electrical Cables Through Wood Framing »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
See more about Electrical Wiring in Your Local Area