Outlets Stopped After Heavy Rains
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
When Electrical Outlets Stop Working: Storm related problems with electrical systems may be easy to fix, or may require an electrical repair job.
What to Check When Outlets Stop Working
- They are not on a GFI outlet but rather a dedicated circuit I had installed when the house was built.
- Could the circuit breaker itself go bad?
This electrical troubleshooting question came from: Doug, a Handyman from San Antonio, TX
Thanks for your electrical repair question Doug.
When Electrical Outlets Stop Working
Storm related problems with electrical systems may be easy to fix, or may require an electrical repair job.
- A circuit breaker may go bad but I would make other checks.
- First make sure the breaker has been turned all the way off and then back on.
- Being that these are outside outlets they are required to be GFCI protected.
- I would double check all the exterior outlets and look for one that may be a GFI outlet.
- It seems very possible that this may be the case especially when you had this happen after the heavy rains.
More about Wiring Electrical Outlets
Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Wiring Diagram GFI
The features and benefits of GFCI outlets and receptacles will give you a clear understanding of the importance why these safety devices are required by code to help protect you and your family against accidental electrical shock hazards.
Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
For more information about Troubleshooting
Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
Learn How to Wire it Right!
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.