Outlets on 12-2 Electrical Wiring
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Select the Correct Electrical Outlets for the Circuit Wiring – This should not be a problem as it is common for a standard 15 amp outlet to be installed on a 20 amp circuit, in fact some outlets have a 20 amp feed through capacity
If this is your first visit, be sure to sign up for your Free Electrical Tips and eBook.
Your Comments and Electrical Questions are always welcome.
Amp Ratings of Electrical Outlets
- The outlets are rated 15amp. Is this a concern.
- Should the outlets be rated 20amps to go with the 12-2 wire?
This electrical wiring question came from: Jim, a Handyman from Upland, CA
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Jim.
How to Select the Correct Electrical Outlets for the Circuit Wiring
- This should not be a problem as it is common for a standard 15 amp outlet to be installed on a 20 amp circuit, in fact some outlets have a 20 amp feed through capacity, and you may want to check for this.
- A 15 amp outlet may be installed on a 20 amp circuit, but a 20 amp outlet may not be installed on a 15 amp circuit.
- The areas I would not advise the standard outlet is where there will be a lot of use such as a kitchen or workshop.
- These areas should have 2o amp rated outlets where there is #12 AWG wiring.
The Following will assist you with Electrical Outlets
Electrical outlet wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about Electrical Wiring
Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.