Outlet Wiring for a Toaster
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
Installing Electrical Circuit Wiring for a 240 Volt Appliance – Many 240 volt appliances will work on either 208, 220 or 240 volts. Consult the manufacturers specifications to be sure.
Circuit Wiring for a 240 Volt Appliance
- So, thinking I was being smart, I bought (on-line) a Toastmaster TC13A666 conveyor belt toaster – http://www.toastmastercorp.com/pagesequipment/toasterconveyor/conveyortcmini.html . The problem is it is a NEMA 6-20P which is 240v.
In our office kitchen we only have 120v standard outlets.
- First question is how easy is this going to be to convert an outlet to 240v.
- Also, how can I figure out if this building has 208v or 240v which I understand can be an issue.
Thanks for your outlet wiring question Seth.
Background: Seth, a Homeowner from Boston, Ma
Electrical Circuit Wiring for a 240 Volt Appliance
- You cannot convert a 120 volt circuit to a 240 volt circuit unless it is a dedicated circuit that does not provide power to any other outlets.
- If this is a commercial building then you can should be able to have an electrician pull in a dedicated 240 volt circuit to get your toaster working.
- You will see the voltage stated inside the door of your electric panel.
- Many 240 volt appliances will work on either 208, 220 or 240 volts. Consult the manufacturers specifications to be sure.
I have provided the following resources that lead to fully detailed information on this website that will assist you with your electrical question:
Electric Circuit Listing
The size of the home electrical service panel
- Determined by calculating the square footage of the home
- Factoring in the code requirements for all the electrical circuits that are required
You identified your project to be about 220 Volt Wiring Diagram, so you might find this information useful:
220 Volt Wiring Diagram
Wiring 220 Volt Electrical Outlet
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.