New Lighting Trips Out Circuit Breaker
How to Calculate Lighting Circuit Electrical Load Capacity – Compare the total amount of watts from the original light fixture and what the total watts are of the new light fixtures. In a case where the circuit is overloaded the watts will either need to be reduced or a new circuit will be required.
Electrical Circuit Load Capacities
Electrical Repair Question: We are replacing 2 light fixtures in our bathroom.
- The fixtures we have chosen are 2 3-head Track Lighting.
- They are made by Portfolio, sold at Lowe’s.
- We connected all the wiring, and when we go to turn the power back on from the circuit breaker, it switches back off within a minute of being on.
- Our master bath which is the one we are working on, is connected to the main bath and hallway.
- They are on the same breaker.
- I am a woman so I’m trying to detail this as much as I can, not knowing a thing about home improvements.
- What is going on and what can we try to fix it?
This electrical wiring question came from: Taylor, from Loveland, Colorado
See more about Local Electrical Wiring in Colorado
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Taylor
How to Calculate Lighting Circuit Electrical Load Capacity
- Because the circuit breaker is not tripping of immediately then I do not suspect short in the circuit wiring.
- What I suspect is that the circuit is exceeding its limitation and tripping out because of the additional load of more watts of the new light fixtures.
- It may be helpful to compare the total amount of watts from the original light fixture and what the total watts are of the new light fixtures.
- In a case where the circuit is overloaded the watts will either need to be reduced or a new circuit will be required.
- Be aware that light fixtures that are mounted over the tub or shower areas must be rated for such where the fixtures are required to have tempered glass coverings or enclosures.
- If the light fixture does not state this on the label then they are not approved to be installed over a tub or shower. The concern is to prevent the danger of broken glass and fixture damage from moisture.
Planning and Installing Home Lighting
Bathroom Electrical Wiring
Browse other questions about this topic:
Electrical Wiring bathroom light, electrical circuit, electrical question, light bulbs, light fixtures
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.