New Lighting Trips Out Circuit Breaker
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Calculate Lighting Circuit Electrical Load Capacity – Compare the total amount of watts from the original light fixture and what the total watts are of the new light fixtures. In a case where the circuit is overloaded the watts will either need to be reduced or a new circuit will be required.
Electrical Circuit Load Capacities
- The fixtures we have chosen are 2 3-head Track Lighting.
- They are made by Portfolio, sold at Lowe’s.
- We connected all the wiring, and when we go to turn the power back on from the circuit breaker, it switches back off within a minute of being on.
- Our master bath which is the one we are working on, is connected to the main bath and hallway.
- They are on the same breaker.
- I am a woman so I’m trying to detail this as much as I can, not knowing a thing about home improvements.
- What is going on and what can we try to fix it?
This electrical wiring question came from: Taylor, from Loveland, Colorado
See more about Local Electrical Wiring in Colorado
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Taylor
How to Calculate Lighting Circuit Electrical Load Capacity
- Because the circuit breaker is not tripping of immediately then I do not suspect short in the circuit wiring.
- What I suspect is that the circuit is exceeding its limitation and tripping out because of the additional load of more watts of the new light fixtures.
- It may be helpful to compare the total amount of watts from the original light fixture and what the total watts are of the new light fixtures.
- In a case where the circuit is overloaded the watts will either need to be reduced or a new circuit will be required.
- Be aware that light fixtures that are mounted over the tub or shower areas must be rated for such where the fixtures are required to have tempered glass coverings or enclosures.
- If the light fixture does not state this on the label then they are not approved to be installed over a tub or shower. The concern is to prevent the danger of broken glass and fixture damage from moisture.
Planning and Installing Home Lighting
Bathroom Electrical Wiring
MORE ABOUT THIS TOPIC: Electrical Wiring