Why a Ceiling Fan Trips the Circuit Breaker
Why is my new ceiling fan tripping the circuit breaker? Common Ceiling Fan Wiring Problems and How to Fix Them.
Ceiling Fan Wiring
Electrical Question: Why is my new ceiling fan tripping the circuit breaker?
- I’m trying to replace a ceiling fan in a room and the new fan is tripping the breaker.
- I’m having problems installing a new ceiling fan. The old fan had white, black, blue, and green wires and also does new fan.
- Before removing old fan pulled wires out and removed old fan wires making sure I knew where each wire went.
- I put new fan together then put wiring together, turned power on then switched on light and breaker trip right away, checked wires to make sure white w/ white black/blue with black, and green to green, they where, so took them apart reconnected them, tripped again, flipped wires just in case tripped breaker, removed fan, put old fan up worked just fine.
- I put new fan up again tripped again, took back to store got new fan put new fan all together same problem again and again, put up a new light fixture worked just fine, took second fan back got totally different brand of fan and still the breaker is tripping.
I don?t understand what the problem could be please could you give me some insight
This electrical question came from: Dottie, from Killeen, Texas.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Dottie.
Ceiling Fan Wiring Problems
Application: Wiring a New Ceiling Fan.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the ceiling fan.
Precaution: Identify the ceiling fan circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Common Ceiling Fan Wiring Problems and How to Fix Them
- This question leads me to believe that the mounting bracket for the ceiling fan should be checked to make sure that long mounting screws are not penetrating any electrical wires.
- Also makes sure that wires are not being pinched during the installation process.
- Both of the mentioned items could result in a direct short which could trip off the circuit breaker.
More about Wiring New Ceiling Fans
How to Wire a Ceiling Fan
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fan Wiring
Electrical Circuit Breaker
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
|« How to Wire a Dryer Outlet||Wiring a Pool Timer »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
See more about Electrical Wiring in Your Local Area