Motor Home Circuit Electrical Troubleshooting
How to Detect Motor Home Outlet Circuit Failures – The power source should be tested from the closest junction box to the panel and out from there to all the other affected outlets. A visual Inspection of the outlets, wiring and wire connectors.
Causes of Motor Home Outlet Circuit Failures
- There is a GFI that has power at the GFI outlet and at one other outlet. But different outlets that are controlled by the GFI do not have power.
- I’m Not sure if a GFI can be wired so the not all outlets are controlled at the same time.
- Can a GFI be getting old and only letting power through a single circuit.
- The strange thing is that the power keeps coming and going on these outlets, there are three, while the other outlet has power as does the outlet with the GFI.
- The only thing plugged in is a Sleep Comfort mattress and the power light is on sometime and off other times.
- I have not been able to determining any cause as it even happens at night.
- When I looked at the GFI outlet, there were two sets of wires connected, the same as you would have in an outlet where one plug is switched and the other is hot all the time.
Hope this has given you enough info to give me an idea of what to do.
This electrical wiring question came from: Lee, a Handyman from Cataldo, ID
Additional Comments: This is my first time to visit this site.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Lee.
How to Detect Motor Home Outlet Circuit Failures
- Yes, GFI outlets can go bad and stop supplying power to the load side of the wiring, this is why testing GFI outlets and circuit breakers periodically is a great idea.
- You do mention that the power is on and off at times, so this indicates that there may be a loose connection.
- The power source should be tested from the closest junction box to the panel and out from there to all the other affected outlets. A visual Inspection of the outlets, wiring and wire connectors will most likely reveal the problem.
Wiring Diagram GFI
The features and benefits of GFCI outlets and receptacles will give you a clear understanding of the importance why these safety devices are required by code to help protect you and your family against accidental electrical shock hazards.
For more information about GFCI Wiring
This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.