Magnetic Ballast and Electronic Ballast on the Same Circuit
Replacing Magnetic Ballasts with Electronic Ballasts: Upgrading a Lighting Circuit and Installing Electronic Ballasts.
Upgrading a Lighting Circuit and Installing Electronic Ballasts
Electrical Question: I have a commercial building with fluorescent lighting.
- All are T12 light fixture, two tubes per fixture.
- Many of these are multiple fixtures controlled by a single switch.
- I can no longer find the magnetic ballast for these due to the phase out.
- So, here is my question:
- Can I mix and match old magnetic and newer electronic ballast on the same circuit when one goes bad?
This electrical question came from: Bill , a Property Manager from Louisville, Kentucky.
Additional Comments: Lot’s of great information.
Thanks for your electrical question Bill.
Installing Electronic Ballasts on Fluorescent Light Circuit
- There is no problem with replacing the magnetic ballasts with electronic ballasts, one at a time, light fixture by fixture, just keep track of the type of lamps that are specified on the label of the new electronic ballasts which will most likely be the T8 type lamps.
- The great thing is that you can use the original sockets for the new lamps as well.
More about Fluorescent Light Fixtures and Home Lighting
- Home Lighting Articles
- Home Lighting Articles covering recessed lighting, under cabinet lighting, lighting terminology and more.
For more information about Electrical Wiring
- Electrical Wiring
- Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
|« Kitchen Outlets and Circuit Wiring||Light Bulb Base and the Light Fixture Socket »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.