Local Codes May Determine Electrical Service Panel Locations
Why is the main electric service panel located outside some homes? Your Main Electrical Panel Location may Depend on Local Codes.
Installing a Main Electrical Panel
- I live in the Chicago land area. My son bought a home in Phoenix, AZ area. In the mid west, the electrical fuse panels are located inside the home or in the garage.
- In Phoenix, the electrical panels are installed on the outside of the building. What is the reason for this?
- If someone wanted to play a prank on me or I had a neighbor who just did not like me, could turn off the electricity at the main breaker and I could come home from a vacation with a frig or freezer with spoiled food.
- Also, if I had an alarm system on my home, it would be very easy to cut the power to the system if the fuse box is located outside.
- It does not make any sense to me that disabling power to a home would be so easy in Arizona. Please help me understand.
Background: Bruce, a Handyman from Rolling Meadows, Illinois for a job site in Phoenix, Arizona.
Thanks for your electrical panel question Bruce.
How to install a Home Electrical Panel
Your Main Electrical Panel Location may Depend on Local Codes
- I understand the concern of this question, however I believe that the home electrical panels in the mid western states of the USA are there due to extreme weather and that many homes have basements.
- In Arizona the weather is much different. For example; here in California it is required by code that the main electrical disconnect switch is located outside so that in the event of a fire the electrical service can be turned off to prevent hard to the firefighters as well as the structure.
- Keep in mind that all panel covers usually have a tab that will allow a lock to be placed to prevent tampering. This is why are some electrical panels installed on the outside of building when others are located inside.
- Electrical wiring is installed according to the National Electrical Code, NEC, as well as Locally adopted electrical codes.
More about Installing a Home Electrical Panel
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
Home Electrical Codes
Electrical Code Directory covering bedroom circuits, electrical-boxes, electrical-circuit, electrical-code-outlets, bathroom outlets, electrical-grounding, electrical-project, electrical-services, electrical-underground, electrical-wiring, electrical-wiring-code, lighting-codes and smoke-detectors.