Living Room Ceiling Light Not Working
My living room pendant ceiling light isn’t working: How to use a voltage tester to check a light switch.
Ceiling Light Not Working
I’ve removed the pendant part of the fitting so all the wires entering the ceiling rose are exposed-2 red wires,2 black wires + 2 copper wires twisted together which are used as earth (neither copper wire is insulated!). I’ve used a pen tester on all the wires + got following results (I hope I’m right thinking the tester lights up if power is running through wire); copper wire (earth)lights up tester when light switch is on + when its off,when light switch is on both red wires light up tester but 1 is a lot dimmer,when switch is off both red wires glow briefly then fade. The black wires light tester up when switched on (so they’re switched live?). Are these results typical? thanks
This electrical question came from Donna, a Homeowner in London, UK.
Additional Comments: Informative.
Thanks for your electrical question Donna.
Fix a Living Room Ceiling Light
Donna, It is best to use a voltage tester instead of a pen tester for more accurate electrical readings. However, from what you have described the switch may be faulty and need to be replaced so full power may reach the light fixture.
Using electrical testers
Electrical Safety and Voltage Testers
When working on home electrical wiring, quality voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
The Following links will assist you with your electrical question:
Wiring a dimmer switch
3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about Home Wiring
Basic Home Wiring Diagrams with Pictures
This link is helpful as a Homeowner