Light Fixture Wiring and the Spare Red Wire
How to Connect the Red Wire for a Ceiling Light Fixture: The Red Wire in the Ceiling Fan or Light Fixture Wiring.
The Red Wire in the Ceiling Fan or Light Fixture Wiring
- The switch it is connected to is a dimmer switch with an on/off button as well as a dimmer slider.
- The wiring in the ceiling contains a black, red and white wire as well as a ground.
- The fixture contains only black and white.
- What would the red wire be for and how do I connect it?
This electrical wiring question came from: Marlene, a Homeowner from Brampton, Ontario, Canada.
Additional Comments: Great resource for help.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Marlene.
How to Connect the Red Wire for a Ceiling Light Fixture
- The Red Wire
The red wire is most likely a spare wire that was intended to be used when wiring for a ceiling fan.
- The Wall Switch
Typically when a ceiling fan is installed the red wire is most commonly used for the light and the black is commonly for the fan motor.
- The Red Wire as a Spare Wire
When a ceiling fan is not installed, this spare red wire is insulated with electrical tape or capped off with a wire nut.
More about Wiring a Light Fixture
Wiring a dimmer switch
3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.