Light Fixture Ground Wire Attachment
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Ground a Light Fixture: The ground wire of the incoming electrical circuit should be bonded to the electrical junction box, and the ground wire of the fixture should be grounded as well.
If this is your first visit, be sure to sign up for your Free Electrical Tips and eBook.
Your Comments and Electrical Questions are always welcome.
Wiring a Light Fixture Ground Wire
- From the wall I see the black and white wires, and also the ground which is attached to the octagon electric box via a screw.
- My new light also has a ground wire, and a green screw on the mounting bracket that came with the new light.
- My question is, do I leave the house ground attached to the electric box, and attach the ground from the new light to the green screw on the mounting bracket of the new light?
Background: Ian, a Homeowner from Calgary, Alberta Canada.
Additional Comments: Great. glad I found it.
Thanks for your electrical question Ian.
Application: Light Fixture Wiring.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Hand Tools and Safe Ladder.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal experience, the light fixture and access to the light fixture.
Precaution: Identify the light fixture circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Replacement parts for the light fixture should be compatible with the type of lamps that have been installed.
How to Ground a Light Fixture
- The ground wire of the incoming electrical circuit should be bonded to the electrical junction box, and the ground wire of the fixture should be grounded as well.
- The process can be accomplished several ways, such as installing a ground screw to the metal junction box and then splicing all of the ground wires together with this ground wire that is now bonded to the junction box.
- The point is to have a path to the ground wire of the circuit and bonding any metal parts of the circuit and devices to the circuit ground wire.
More about Installing Light Fixtures and Electrical Wiring
- Electrical Junction Boxes
- Electrical Grounding
- Lighting For The Home
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- For more information about Light Switch Wiring
Light Switch Wiring
- This link is helpful as a Homeowner
- Make sure not to miss these Resources for: How-To-Videos
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.
Do You Have an Electrical Wiring Question?