Kitchen Outlets That Stop Working
Why am I having problems with my kitchen sockets or breakers? How to Troubleshooting and Repair a Kitchen Outlet Circuit.
Our refrigerator and now the gas stove, electric starter at burners and oven light have stopped working. When the refrigerator stopped working, I switched out the socket, but that did not work.
Last month an electrician came to my home, said the socket and the breaker at the box were both fine, and he could not explain why the refrigerator stopped. After 24-48 hrs, I plugged the refrigerator back into its regular socket and it has worked fine.
The refrigerator and one other wall socket have two outlets and are on one wall. The stove is on a neighboring wall, both walls form an L shape. I currently, no pun intended but you can laugh anyway, have the refrigerator plugged into another outlet on the same wall as the stove.
Why am I having problems with these sockets and or breakers?
Thank you very much.
This electrical wiring question came from: Dave, from Los Angeles, California.
See more about Local Electrical Wiring in California
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Dave.
How to Troubleshooting and Repair a Kitchen Outlet Circuit
Application: Repair Kitchen Outlet Problem.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools a Voltage Tester or Plug-In Circuit Analyzer.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools, the extent of the electrical repairs the number of outlets that are affected.
Precaution: Identify the kitchen outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Why Most Kitchen Outlets to Fail
- When one or more outlets within a circuit stop working it usually means that there is a loose or burnt splice or connection which is commonly found inside one of the outlet boxes.
- The outlet circuit should be identified and turned off at the circuit breaker or fuse.
- The outlets of the circuit should be unscrewed and pulled out of the box to allow the wiring to be inspected.
- Any wiring connections to the outlet and splices inside the junction box should be carefully inspected for signs of burnt wiring.
- Once the problem is discovered the appropriate repairs must be carefully made to the affected problem making sure to restore a solid connection.
- Problems such as this are best identified and repaired by a qualified electrical contractor.
The Following will assist you with Kitchen Outlets
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
- Electrical Circuit Breakers
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.