Kitchen Exhaust Fan Wiring
|By Dave Rongey - Summary:
How are the wires connected for a kitchen exhaust fan? Wiring a kitchen exhaust fan that is installed above the kitchen range or cook top stove.
Kitchen Exhaust Fan Wire
- The exhaust fan has three wires out of the winding: red wire, black wire, green wire.
- The way it is wired now when the switch is ON the air exhausts out of the kitchen.
- When the switch is OFF the fan blows air into the kitchen. The result is that the fan motor can blow in both directions.
- Can you explain the proper wiring for the two terminal connections, or provide a diagram that shows the wiring connections with the main circuit power.
This electrical wiring question came from: Steve located in Dallas, Texas.
See more about Home Wiring for Texas
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Steve.
How to Wire a Kitchen Exhaust Fan
Application: Wiring a Kitchen Exhaust Fan.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced, best installed by a licensed electrical contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the access to the wall switch for the exhaust fan and if a larger switch box will be required.
Precaution: The kitchen exhaust fan circuit should be identified, turned OFF and Tagged with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Modifying existing wiring or installing additional bathroom electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Wire a Kitchen Exhaust Fan
Specific to this Electrical Question: The wiring for the exhaust fan as described in this question may not be typical or standard due to the described problem. Therefore I recommend a close evaluation of the exhaust fan and the provided installation instructions and wiring diagram. If it is found that the exhaust fan is faulty or is not compatible with your application then a replacement may be desired.
- Important: Not all exhaust fans are alike, so be sure to consult the documentation provided with your exhaust fan for specific circuit requirements and wiring instructions.
EXAMPLE: The following is an example of How to Wire a 120volt Kitchen Hood Exhaust Fan.
- Wiring a Kitchen Hood Exhaust Fan
- Typically there is an electrical circuit cable that is stubbed out of the wall just below the cabinet above the range or stove top.
- Locate the circuit breaker that controls the power to this cable and turn the circuit off before installing the exhaust fan.
- Note: The circuit cable used for the kitchen exhaust fan is typically fed from one of the kitchen outlet circuits.
- Use a voltage tester to ensure that the circuit power has been shut off before proceeding.
- The 120volt circuit wires include a green or bare ground wire, white neutral wire, and a black power wire.
- A junction box is located inside the exhaust fan with a blank cover over it. Remove the blank cover.
- The typical 120volt exhaust fan has a green ground wire, white neutral wire, and black power wire.
- A half inch opening is provided for the cable to enter into the junction box. Note: A plastic bushing or a cable connector should be installed to protect the circuit cable.
- Guide the circuit cable into the junction box of the exhaust fan while installing the exhaust fan to the cabinet.
- Once the exhaust fan is installed and secured into place, remove any excess lengths of cable and wire but be sure to allow enough wire to make the wire connections. Strip off one inch of insulation from each wire to prepare the wires for connections.
- Important: If a green ground wire is not provided with the exhaust fan then a green ground screw will be provided inside the junction box where the circuit ground wire must be attached.
- Connect the matching pair of wires together from the exhaust fan to the circuit cable. Trim off any excess or uneven length of wire. Install a twist on wire connector to each connection.
- Replace the blank cover over the junction box inside the exhaust fan.
- Restore the circuit power to the exhaust fan.
More about Electrical Wiring for a Kitchen Hood Exhaust Fan
- Kitchen Hood Exhaust Fan
- A kitchen exhaust fan located over the range or cook stove will provide a well ventilated kitchen to prevent odors from entering other areas of the home.
More about Kitchen Hood Exhaust Fan
Kitchen Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Kitchen Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.
MORE ABOUT THIS TOPIC: