Installing Workshop Receptacles
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Install Electrical Wiring for Workshop Outlets: Wiring Workshop or Garage Receptacles with GFCI Protection, The number of GFI outlets for a workshop, circuit amperage, how many outlets.
Guide to Workshop or Garage Receptacle Outlets
- I am running a 15amp circuit in my new workshop with 12-2 wire.
This electrical question came from: Bruce, a Handyman from La Mesa, California.
Additional Comments: Nice source of info-thank you for your time & effort.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Bruce.
How to Install Electrical Wiring for Workshop Outlets
Application: Wiring Workshop Receptacles
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of outlets that will be replaced.
Precaution: When adding to an existing outlet circuit identify the outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional GFCI Outlet wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Wiring Workshop or Garage Receptacles with GFCI Protection
- The number of GFI outlets for a workshop application it will really depend on what the receptacles will be used for or what will be plugged into the receptacles.
- The other consideration is how many of these tools or devices will be operated at the same time.
- If the receptacles are for general purpose and conveniently located and the circuit load will be low then you can place as many as you wish, 10 or may be 12.
- The point is that you will be limited by the amperage of the circuit, not how many receptacles you actually have.
- I guess the easiest way to explain this is that just because you have 10 receptacles does not mean that there is a load on the circuit, that only happens once tools or equipment is plugged in and is being used.
- By the way, if 12-2 wire is being installed then the circuit breaker may be sized at 20 amps, not 15 amps.
More about Wiring Workshop or Garage GFCI Outlets
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
How to Install Workshop Electrical Wiring
Work Shop Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Workshop Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
For more information about GFCI Wiring
This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.