Installing Underground Wiring for a Shed
How to Install Underground Wiring for a Shed: The Process of Installing Electrical Wiring to a Shed
UF Cable for Underground Wiring to a Shed
Electrical Question: What kind of wire should be used to install an electrical circuit from my house to a shed?
- I would like the electrical cable to be installed underground, and can you tell me what size breaker should be used?
This electrical wiring question came from: Jack, a Handyman from Moberly, Missouri.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Jack.
How to Install Underground Wiring for a Shed
- Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced.
- Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
- Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and install electrical circuit wiring.
- Notice: Installing additional electrical circuit wiring for a shed should be done with a permit and be inspected.
The Process of Installing Electrical Wiring to a Shed
- Direct Burial Cable or Underground Feeder UF Cable may be installed at a depth of 24 inches below grade.
- The cable should be protected with schedule 80 PVC from the depth of the trench and then up to a junction box or approved electrical enclosure.
- The size of the UF cable will depend on what electrical loads or devices will be used in the shed. The larger the load, the larger the cable.
- Cable sizes can be determined using the NEC Table 310-16 which is found on the Electrical Wire web page on this website.
- The size of the circuit breaker will depend on the size of the cable that has been determined as large enough for the total anticipated electrical loads.
- If an outlet is to be installed then GFI circuit protection is required.
- Installing circuit wiring such as this should require a permit and inspection.
- Consult you local building authority in your area for details, or consider hiring a Qualified Electrical Contractor.
More about Electrical Wiring for a Shed
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
Home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
GFCI Outlet Wiring
This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Home Electric Circuit Listing
The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the electrical code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
|« How To Wire Half Hot Receptacles||Installing an Electrical Circuit for a Whirlpool Tub »|
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.